Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Oh Deer!

I spent the day answering text messages (sorry if I didn't call anyone back), filling out cancer patient grant applications, another ridiculously long call with BCBS and attempting to get some work accomplished. 

My brain is all over the place and it's hard to concentrate.

To be honest, I wasn't going to publish that post from yesterday because it was so heavy but I changed my mind and put it out there. 

I am so glad that I did. 

So many of you have shared your own personal stories, while others offered financial assistance. Everyone's words of encouragement and reference to scripture have lifted me up. 

I am so grateful for you all. 

One friend even let us borrow his truck for as long as we need! It's a 1999 Chevy 1500 pick up with about a million miles on it but it is reliable. 

He told us not to wash it because the rust is holding it together and one of the buttons on the radio fell off and is in the cab of the truck so I'm not allowed to clean it for fear I'll vacuum it up! 

How ironic is it that we're driving a 21 year old Chevy while our four year old Ford is in need of a transmission?

One the way to gymnastics to pick up David and his teammate tonight I got a call from Helen's Angels telling me that I was being awarded a $500 grant for cancer patients to help with medical costs! 

I cried happy tears. 

For the first time in days I was felt hopeful. 

Thirty minutes later, I hit a deer. 

Yup. 

Seriously. I can't make this up. 

I didn't kill it. 


I thought the police were going to have to put it down but, while I was on the phone with 911, it got up and limped into the woods. 

There I was on the side of the road, watching an 8-point buck leave the scene of the accident and I started to laugh. 

Like, really laugh. 

I'm a child of the 80s. Guess what movie scene popped into my head? 

Tom Hanks and Shelley Long in The Money Pit. Specifically, the bathtub scene. 


When the officer arrived he asked how I was. I replied, "Never better. How are you?" He laughed.

Astoudingly, the damage to the truck is minimal and no one inside the truck was harmed beyond the shock of running into a deer. 

I called the parents of the boy we carpool with, the guy who owns the truck and my hubby. 

Everyone was concerned for our safety but the hubby had the best reaction. "Are you f-ing kidding me?" I replied, "Right?! You just can't make this up." 

I told him that I had to get David's teammate home. He told me to be careful and once I'm home lock myself in and never go anywhere again. 

When I called my mom she had basically the same reaction I did. She laughed then we laughed together. 

I guess this year is just my crap year. 

Hopefully I will live a very, very long time and look back at this year and laugh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment