Friday, November 12, 2021

Good Luck Or Bad Luck?

The car was towed to the dealership on Monday. They have confirmed that the torque converter is what failed.  Ford Corporation has a call into the service manager to get a quote and will call me back with an "offer." 

Praying that it's reasonable. 

Now, on to the medical, I was wrong when I posted that we had a family deductible of $8,150. 

It's so much worse! 

My out of pocket individual amount is $8,150. The family deductible is $16,300. 

So much more affordable Than the old $500 deductibles right?! 

We are not even halfway to fullfilling the family deductible and I still haven't met the individual. The policy rolls over on December 1 and we start over. 

I spoke with the social worker at my Oncologist's office and she is submitting my name for every grant for which I am eligible. I also spoke to the Patient Financial Advocate who is submitting me for a copay assistance program through the makers of Kanjinti which is the generic form of Herceptin. I've been receiving it all along but everyone still calls it Herceptin. If I am approved for the copay program my bill to Penn Medicine could go away or at least be cut in half and my future copays for the rest of the treatments until June 2022 could be covered as well. 

We still have other outstanding medical expenses for CT scans, a bone scan, echocardiogram etc. but if we can get the other stuff covered we will be much better off. 

But wait there's more! 

Additionally, someone annonymously paid for David's gymnastics tuition for December and another has covered his fees for his first meet. Someone else has sent money that we can use for the rest of the medical bills that won't be covered by the grant or copay assistance program. And, another friend is bringing us dinner this weekend! 

The light at the end of the tunnel is bright thanks to the generosity of so many people. I look forward to the day that we are in a position to help others the way we have been helped. 

The deer situation still has us shaking our heads in disbelief. 

While I am still suffering a bit of an emotional hangover from everything we have endured for the past week and a half, my sense of humor has been fully restored. 

One of the things I'm still laughing about happened while I was talking with the police on Wednesday night. 

After I had put in the call to 911, I called the parents of the boy we were driving home. His mom didn't
answer so I called his dad and explained what happened. A short time later, as the police officer was explaining the report, the mom called back. 

I looked at the phone and said, "Hey it's your mom, can you answer, tell her what happened an that we're ok?"

I turned back to the officer and tried to pay attention to what he was saying but was distracted by the following conversation on our end of the phone: 

"Hello?"
"No, it's Lukas."
"Yes, but she's talking to the police." 

"Oh my gosh, give me the phone!!!!" I screamed. 

The officer stood at the driver's door laughing while I calmed the mom on the phone. 

Kid's!

I have become poster child for the saying, "If it weren't for back luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all." 

An expression I used to hate but get it now, because I am living it. 

I only pray that my string of bad luck has come to an end. 




No comments:

Post a Comment