Friday, February 19, 2016

The Hiatus Is Over

After a four year hiatus, I once again have become a gym rat. 

For years and years I was a gym goer. Either at the office, if my employer had a good gym, or after work at a local health club. 

Many of those years were spent with one of my best friends sweating and griping together. 

The value of a workout partner cannot be overlooked. 

Whether it was just having someone to kibbutz with about the day, our significant others or whine about our jobs, knowing that she was going to be there and not wanting to blow her off was a great motivator. 

I miss my workout partner. 

More than just her company I miss her sense of humor the most. 

At least 12 years ago we were doing our ab workout on the mats against the wall that backed the aerobic room where there was a class going on. 

The music was the same techno crap that all lazy aerobic instructors use but what was even more annoying was the instructor's voice. She was yelling counts into her mic with a voice that sounded like she was attempting to motivate a class of four year olds! Ugh! Can't stand being spoken to like that to begin with never mind when I'm trying to exercise! 

I made a comment to my friend about the instructor's voice and, pretending to be in the class, she quipped, "I'm not stupid, I'm just fat!" 

Ha! 

I miss her! 

I am crazy judgmental when it comes to my exercise instructors. If I'm weight training they need to have muscles...bulging muscles. 

If I'm doing anything aerobic my instructor needs to be thinner than I am. Seriously! How the hell am I supposed to be motivated to sweat if the girl at the front of the class looks like she lives on Big Macs?! 

This is an important motivational factor for me! 

And DON'T talk to me like I'm a child. 

Since I am only on my third week of "getting back into shape" I've decided that the recumbent bike and circuit weight training are the best thing for me, for now. Once I can do the circuit without feeling like I'm dying I'll get into the free weights again. 

I'm trying to be smart about this and acknowledge that I am not 20-something anymore and my body just doesn't recover like it used to. 

Yeah, getting older really does suck! 

My biggest regret is that I allowed myself to get out of shape at all. Yeah I had twins and yeah I was busy but lots of people have twins and lots of people are busy. Lots of people also know when to stop eating and actually say "No thank you" when offered dessert.

I've been lazy with my food and therefore lazy about my health.  

So here I am less than a year shy of the big 5-0 and I'm starting over in the gym. 

The club we joined has tons of programs for us and for the kids as well as a free indoor play place that the boys can play on for hours...if I had that kind of time. The pools, all four of them, are spotless and the kids's pool is a zero entry pool that only goes to 3'6" deep. They have and adult only locker room as well as family locker rooms and a cafe. Our membership includes monthly cafe bucks that I can use for a cup of coffee before heading out and if we want to, we can bring our own food and eat in the cafe without a problem. 

It's an amazing place but you know what the best part is? 

I get two hours a day of childcare a day! 

Two. Hours. A. Day!!! Woot!! 

I can ride the bike and read a book at the same time. 

I can do the weight circuit without someone bugging me. 

I can have a conversation with another adult without interruption...well except for the moaner. 

The moaner. 

There's one in every gym. 

This guy gets on the elliptical bike thing and rides like he's being chanced by a pack of rabid raccoons. 

Despite the fact that he rides this thing every day, he gets pissed off at the machine, sometimes even yells at it but every day, without fail, he moans. 

Not a stressful grunt from time to time but full on, orgasmic moaning. 

It's a little uncomfortable to be around. 

The little old ladies that also workout while he's there spend their time alternately shaking their heads and blushing. 

I try to get there before he arrives but my schedule doesn't always allow for that. I've sort of gotten used to him and to be honest the discomfort that he causes those of us around him has become a great conversation starter. 

Who knows maybe I'll find a new workout partner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment