Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Blow-Out System


The list of things that gross me out is getting pretty long. I didn't used to be the type of person that one would consider squeamish (well unless you consider my arachnophobia but that's a fear not a gross-out factor) that was before I stepped in cold baby puke on my way to bed. Hubby asked why I didn't step in it while it was warm? Funny guy.

When the boys are in their highchairs snacking on Cheerios they tend to drop a considerable amount of them into the chair alongside their thighs and near their adorable little behinds. We usually reach down, scoop them up and put them back on their trays. This is an every day, sometimes multiple times a day, occurrence. So much so in fact that I no longer do the full-body flinch when coming in contact with wet, mushy Cheerios. Its just part of the experience.

Imagine my surprise the other night when I reached into the highchair to do the usual Cheerio harvest and came up with a handful of poop! Yup, baby poop! Not the brownish-yellow poop that one usually envisions when the words baby and poop are uttered in the same sentence; this was spinach week. The poo was exceptionally dark and well, leafy.

I screamed.

Hubby ran in from the other room to see what was going on only to discover me standing in the middle of the kitchen with my left hand covered in poop (oh and I was overdue to cut my nails - I'll let you draw that picture) telling him to get the paper towels to put down on the changing table.

We have come up with a "system" for dealing with blowouts, which for one of my boys seems to be a way of life. One of us grabs the paper towels and lays them out on the changing table. The other, carrying the baby, as my grandmother would say, "Like they were carrying a dead cat," brings the child in and puts him down on the towels and commences to change the diaper and clothing. While that is being done the first parent - usually the hubby - returns to the scene of the crime to deal with the clean up.

Minor blowouts are dealt with Clorox Clean-Ups. Major blowouts require the use of the garden hose which, I believe, we have resorted to at least five times now. If the hose is necessary, once the chunks are removed the highchair cover - which by the way is made of the most incredible material known to man - is taken to the washing machine where it is then washed on the "sanitize" cycle.

Once the diaper has been removed and all traces of poop have been scraped off the tushy, the diaper, wipes and paper towels go directly into the trashcan. This keeps us - and when I say us I mean me see Wash, Dry, Fold, Repeat - from having to wash the changing pad cover every time there is a blow-out.

My hubby thinks I take pity on him when I choose to change the diapers but really I am taking pity on the babies. Hubby is wonderful and jumps in to help out on nearly everything but I am a better diaper changer in these scenarios so it is less stressful for the kids and, as much as I am humored by the sound, it keeps him from gagging!

He has come close the throwing up about three times, which in the span of nine months is not that much but I have never gagged. I guess that's because when I know there is a poopie diaper I expect it to be um...poopie.

There is nothing about poop that is attractive to look at.

I can't even begin to tell you the number of times that I have heard, "Oh! My! God!" when he is changing a diaper. Initially the OMG! was followed by the very distinct sound of gagging. He’s gotten better with the gagging but is still surprised on a regular basis.

I just can't fathom the shock.

Seriously...You couldn't smell that?






2 comments:

  1. That is some funny stuff right there. With my boys it wasn't necessarily what you could see & smell but what you couldn't see & smell. My kids always seemed to poop in their sleep. Yeah you know where I'm going with this.. up the back.. lol but they always woke up with a smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paper towels for the changing table? Try one (or half of one) of these on top of the cloth changing pads.

    http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Arm-Hammer-Disposable-Changing/dp/B002KCMSPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376573962&sr=8-1&keywords=munchkin+pads
    (Also at Target)

    We even cut them in half, because half is large enough. We've gotten so good, that we've had half of one pad on the table for months now. Of course, Collin was always messier than Katelyn, and sometimes surprisingly, which I'm sure you have always experienced. For that problem, you could always try one of these...

    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=pee-pee+teepee&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1694998956&ref=pd_sl_960ktonkea_e


    Our blowouts usually required the second parent to occupy the child's hands. Otherwise, they were trying to dig into the diaper to help with the changing.

    ReplyDelete