Friday, August 30, 2013

Shiny


I tease my hubby pretty often...well ok, all the time, but the fact is that I truly have the best husband that has ever existed. He doesn't do laundry, cook and suffers from what my mother calls "18 inch disease" but he is a hard working guy who is completely devoted to the happiness of our little family. 

When we first met, I was going through a hellaciously contentious divorce and swore that I would never get married again. I even went so far as to tell him that if he ever asked me to marry him I would break up with him in a heartbeat! I was so scared of relationships that I wouldn't even call him my boyfriend.

He was, "The guy I was seeing." 

Early on, the guy I was seeing and I had a blast together. Being together was fun and everything was a fantastic adventure. In those days I traveled a great deal for work. If his schedule allowed he came along to help or meet me at the end of the event and we would take a long weekend to sightsee. 

Even though we were acknowledged as a couple, he eventually became my official boyfriend and we professed our love for one another. We talked often about how much fun we had together. Having endured a nasty divorce I told him that we'd see how we felt once the "shiny" wore off. 

You know the shiny right? 

The excited feeling you get when your special someone arrives at your door or butterflies in your stomach. 

The “new car smell,” if you will. 

As time went on my "I'll never get married again" resolve began to erode. I loved this man. He was kind, gentle, sweet, funny and one of the most loving and accepting people I have ever met in my life. Why would I not want to marry him? 

One weekend in October, while staying in NC, I showed him the website for a Bed & Breakfast in MD that I had won a gift certificate to. I specifically showed him the Weddings and Elopements page. With tears in his eyes he asked me if that meant he could propose to me and just as teary-eyed I told him yes. 

The next day we drove from NC all the way to Baltimore to get our marriage license...and received a parking ticket. 

In January we will have been married a whole three years. 

In the possible span of a marriage, three years is the equivalent of a drop in a bucket. But, in those three years we have moved my hubby to VA, seen his mom through two very serious shoulder surgeries, buried my father and his uncle, sold my townhouse in VA and moved in with my mom in MD, bought a house and moved to PA and given birth to (the most adorable) twin boys. Yeah, I’m tired just reading it too!

We live a sort of controlled chaos. Our days are still filled with fantastic adventures they are just different now. Traveling consists of trips to Walmart, the doctor’s office and visits with family.

Jet setters we are not.

My days are no longer spent on the road or in an office. Most days I am home. I work from home and I work on our home. There is never a shortage of laundry, and I understand that only gets worse as (the most adorable) twin boys get older. Something always needs to be cleaned, vacuumed or scrubbed and most of that falls to me. No big deal, I clean better anyway. He does the yardwork, takes out the trash and builds things. He also helps out with bottle washing and dishwasher emptying. But the 18-inch disease is bad.

In fact, as (the most adorable) twins get older, I expect the 18-inch disease to triple. What is 18-inch disease you ask? The condition that prevents on from moving a dirty dish the 18 inches from the sink to the dishwasher. Hubby’s affliction is bad. He has been known to put his dirty dishes in the sink even if the dishwasher is open. We might consider possible professional intervention.

Having kids has changed well…everything. Sleeping in, if we’re lucky, is 7:30; we no longer have our Sunday morning coffee-in-bed ritual; a trip to the store feels like work; dinnertime is a moving target and laundry is no longer a “one day and done” chore.

Don’t get me wrong I am not complaining. Just acknowledging the changes.

The romance that was so effortless now requires planning. It’s really tough to be romantic when you’re busy wiping up puke and changing poopie diapers. There are no candle-lit interludes unless the power goes out. Candles are dangerous.  

Seriously, it’s amazing what I now consider dangerous that I never even noticed before! That’s a post for another day.

Even with all this work, puke and extra laundry, life is still wonderful. Hubby will surprise me from time to time with a clean kitchen or scoop up the kids in the morning to let me sleep. He says he’s still trying to “impress his girl.”

It’s working.

We each work on helping the other. My shortcomings are his strengths. He is not perfect; he’s just perfect for me.

My tummy still gets butterflies when I hear the garage door alarm go off at the end of the day letting me know that he’s home. Five years after I started seeing this guy I am happy to report that the shiny still has not worn off.



7 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts V. And I am so happy that you became part of my life when you did. You were an inspiration to me then and now, all these years later, you still are. I told you back then you would be an awesome mom and I know there will be a day that I get to meet the 3 men that have made you this happy lady before us. Love and miss you! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are great, love the blog can identify with lots... glad you didn't give up on love because you have so much to give. And those boys, they are beautiful and I love seeing their pictures. You should be writing for a living!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for both of you. And it can last a lot longer than those three years Vanessa, trust me on this. ;-) Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life throws you curve balls. You are one that knows that better that most. If you have the love and support of family and friends, you can get through anything. I can't express how proud I am to call you my bestest. Or energizer bunny, both are appropriate!

    Nancy and crew

    ReplyDelete