Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Two Down, Ten To Go!

I've had two chemo treatments so far. 

Honestly, the chemo treatments themselves aren't bad. In fact, it's pretty relaxing!

Having the port installed was not relaxing despite the drugs they gave me. 

They put me under conscious sedation which means that I was still sort of awake but didn't care. 

The problem is that lidocaine and novacaine wear off super fast in my body. The doctor had to give me extra lidocaine half way through the procedure. 

I did warn him that this was going to be necessary but I don't think he took me as seriously as he should have. 

After the port was installed I was sent back to the pre-op/recovery area where my wonderful friend Julie waited for me. 

Julie is an amazing person who is a retired oncology nurse. She answers all my questions and keeps my anxiety riddle brain at ease. 

Julie and I met a couple of years ago when she was assigned to my Mother's of Preschoolers (Mops) group as our Mentor Mom.  

Mops is an amazing Christian based program that brings moms together to help one another through, what is undoubtedly, one of the hardest times of life. Although the boys are going into third grade now, I have been a member of Mops since before they were one year old.  

Mops has been my lifeline for years! 

I thought I was going to go insane from the isolation, when Covid ravaged the coutry and forced us all into quarantine. To help keep what little sanity I have, Julie started coming to my house once a week with a bag chair, a cup of coffee and a blanket so that I could have company. 

We would sit out in the sunshine on the lawn and just talk.

We have continued to meet weekly and Julie was one of the first people I called when I was diagnosed. 

Surgery, chemo, port installations, etc. are really scary when you have no idea what is going on. 

Julie is the calm in my storm these days. 

I can message her with the dumbest stuff and she never criticizes me. She just answers my questions and makes me feel normal. Not an easy task, I can assure you!

Because Glenn was going to be taking me to chemo that week, I asked if Julie could bring me to get the port put in. I'm so grateful that she was there. She understands things that neither my hubby nor I do. 

The port hurt like hell! 

It was so bad that night, I almost vomited while trying to eat dinner. 

So, of course, I called Julie! 

It really wasn't the actual port that hurt. What was bothering me was the area on my neck where they accessed my artery and then pressure dressed it with a folded up gauze pad and tegaderm (clear plastic medical tape). The gause pad was putting so much pressure on my neck that I could feel it when I swallowed and it hurt to move. 

They closed the area with surgical glue so I didn't even need the pressure dressing. We decided that removing that part would be ok. 

I washed my hands, got out the Neosporin band-aids and got to work. 

After the gauze had been removed and replaced with the bandaid most of the pain in my neck went away. 


The purple thing and the catheter are under my skin. In the picture above, the stuff on the top is the needle and catheter through which the drugs flow. 

The port is on my chest, the catheter goes into my carotid artery. 

The port is fantastic! They can draw blood through it and also give the drugs through it. No more poking my arm everytime they need blood. 

The reason everything is taped up in that picture is that after they finished installing the port they left the needle in (accessed) so that I didn't have to endure a needle stick the next day when I started the chemo. 

While I am very grateful to have it, the first few days of having the port in were terrible. According to the doctor I had "higher than normal bruising/swelling" which was most likely contributing to the discomfort. 

Evidently I'm special! 

The neck is a pretty tight place and a little swelling goes a long way. 

Exaserbating things was the fact that the Tegaderm ate my skin...literally. My skin came off when they removed the tape and the tape has to be removed to remove the needle. 

By the following Friday (Chemo day 2) almost all of the swelling was down, most of the bruising was gone and Julie reminded me to use my Emla cream prior to going in for my infusion.   

Emla is a prescription lidocaine cream. It is heaven in a tube! 

I squirt a blob onto my skin on the top of the port then apply plastic wrap. The plastic keeps the cream from getting absorbed into a bandage or gause pad and numbs the area. It worked like a charm! I didn't even feel the needle when she put it into the port! 


As I mentioned earlier, chemo is a pretty chill event. The nurses are super nice! Each patient has their own TV, Wifi is free and there is a volunteer who gets us beverages and snacks.  The pumps unplug and have a four hour battery runtime which allows us to walk around if we want to and we are free to go to the bathroom whenever we need. 

Most people (myself included) picture chemo with lots of vomiting and horror stories. While vomiting does happen for some patients, it doesn't happen there. It usually takes a couple days for the drugs to work their way into the system. 

People don't vomit the moment the drugs start flowing. 

Most of us sleep or watch TV. Some people can even work and bring laptops. 

I sleep :) 

The order of my infusion is: Steroids, Benedryl, Taxol, Herceptin. 

The steroids give me great energy for the next couple of days but it doesn't kick in right away. The Benadryl is precautionary to keep me from having a reaction to the Taxol. Taxol is the chemo drug and the Herceptin is the Her2 blocker. From when I arrive to when I leave it's approximately four hours. 

Usually I fall asleep once the Taxol is started and sleep until the Herceptin is almost finished. 

Glenn drives me to chemo then goes to Wawa and picks up lunch. 

We eat lunch together then I pass out. 

Last week he ran errands while I was sleeping. 

By 3-4pm on Friday I am feeling pretty good and by evening the steroids have me FLYING!!! 

I can clean the house, fold the laundry, finish cakes, bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan! LOL! 

Unfortunately, sleeping on Friday nights is also an issue. 

That issue is usually gone by 2pm on Sunday. 

Once the steroids wear off, I crash. 

Mondays are tough because my energy is low and the chemo fatigue sets in. 

 I have dubbed Tuesdays "Taxol Tuesday" as that's when the tummy issues start. 

Taxol Tuesday's Breakfast of Champions is coffee, toast, Immodium and Zofran. 

The Taxol creates issues bad enough that I need to take 1/2 and immodium every day but I increase that to a full one on Monday and Tuesday. 

I am blessed that the Zofran is doing it's job and I have not thrown up...yet. 

Each week is different so we'll see. 

The other charming side effect is acid reflux. 

OMGness it's horrible! 

Nexium makes 20 mg mini-capsules. I take one in the morning and one in the evening to combat the heartburn. (Just FYI - if you are undergoing chemo don't add anything unless you check with a pharmacist to make sure you won't have a bad reaction with the chemo drugs). 

I still have my hair. They keep telling me that it's going to fall out. I was going to get it cut then thought, "Why waste the money?" So, it's an unruly mop! 

As I've mentioned previously, I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. Mostly hate. It's been the one constant that has driven me crazy for most of my life. 

I'm ready to not have to deal with it for a while.  

I decided to go to church on Sunday since the mask mandates have been fully lifted. While getting ready I took and shower and had to shave my legs. 

I was so annoyed! 

All I could think of was, "Can we hurry up the hairloss thing?"

No comments:

Post a Comment