Sunday, December 1, 2013

Aah, Aah, Aah!

They are only a year old and I am already sick of saying, "No."

They like to play with the fireplace screen. I can't tell them it's hot when it's not or the word "hot" will mean nothing. When we do have a fire in the fireplace, they don't go anywhere near it. We don't even need to tell them it's hot.

They love to play with the fireplace tools. Both the hubby and I make this, "Aah, aah, aah" sound followed by the word "No." If they are looking at us we shake our heads when we say no. They now shake their heads no...and then do whatever we told them "no" about in the first place.

It's really hard not to giggle when they do that.

They love to be on the sofa and crawl from one end to the other but it's a constant battle to keep them from playing with things on the end tables. Especially the brass lamps. They are heavy and could hurt one of the kids if they fell over and hit them.

"Aah, aah, ash," is a frequent noise in the house!

Aah, aah, aah...no, fireplace tools.

Aah, aah, aah...no, fireplace screen.

Aah, aah, aah...no, end tables.

Aah, aah, aah...no, television.

Etc, etc. etc. And that's only the first floor!

Until recently, they have not been able to climb up onto the sofa by themselves but they are bigger and stronger now and, the smart little buggers, have figured out that if they pile up the pillows can climb onto the sofa without parental assistance. They've gotten really good at going up and down so we don't really need to worry about them falling off and getting hurt...the battle is really about the stuff on the end tables.

Some things just have to be learned the hard way.

The other day, while I was in the kitchen, processing 400 lbs of home-grown pumpkins, (not really 400 but it certainly felt that way) one of the boys was sitting on the sofa and I heard him start to whine. I looked up and discovered that he had pulled the lamp off the table and onto his head.

Yeah, it left a mark.

I put the lamp back on the table, kissed his boo-boo, put him on the floor and said, "That's why we said no." - the mom equivalent of I told you so!

The lesson seems to have stuck. He has not tried to play with the lamp since. Everything else on the table yes, but not the lamp.

I'm beginning to believe that the fireplace tools are a lost cause!

Previously, I have written about the differences in the boys (see Mornings, Midnights and Mayhem). At the time I deemed them the Engineer and the Head of Marketing. Well Mr. Marketing had decided to change careers and become a stuntman.

Seriously, this kid has no fear.

The Engineer, on the other hand, is much more methodical about his endeavors. Just like the fable The Tortoise and the Hare, slow and steady wins the race, he is consistent in all that he does.

Our Stuntman likes to climb up the stairs and when he reaches the top, stays on his stomach, straightens his legs and slides all the way back down to the bottom! The only time he stays at the top is when the water is running in the bathtub.

They LOVE the bath.

I know some people use baths as a means of calming their children...not us.

Remember these kids took swimming lessons at six-months of age.

They love the pool, the tub, water in general. We want them too. We want them capable of falling in the water and not freaking out. We want them to swim and most importantly we want them safe.

Part of being safe is teaching them to understand the word No.

Ugh! Here we are again.

"Aah, aah, aah! No, don't put that in your mouth. Aah, aah, aah! No, don't put your fingers in your brother's nose. Aah, aah, aah! No, don't play with the power cords. Aaaaaaaaaaah! No, don't bite my toes!"

The Engineer has a thing for my big toes.

I truly hope this is not a sign of a budding foot fetish.

I was on the phone with my mother one day, discussing the importance of tempered glass, when all of a sudden I got this searing pain shooting up my leg from my foot. I look down to find The Engineer latched onto my big toe with his newly sprouted teeth.

O! M! G! It hurt like hell!

You can believe he heard the word NO on that one. However, he has bitten my big toes three times now. Once barefoot, another time was through a sock and the last time I had my slipper on...Thank God! Even with the slipper it still hurt. I consider myself lucky as he has not drawn blood.

Hubby was not so lucky.

While sitting on the floor, The Engineer crawled into his lap, snuggled into his shoulder and promptly bit it. The scream brought the bite to an end but he did break the skin. It's hard not to take something like that personally; I did have to remind hubby that it was nothing done out of malice.

They are teething...they bite everything.

No is said A LOT!

I was very relieved that, despite the frequent utterance of the word "No" around here, The Engineer's first word was, "cracker." Funny that the first word was food-related as he is four pounds heavier than his twin!

I know that the word "No" will be a staple of my vocabulary for years to come. I just wish it didn't start so soon.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my they are growing up too fast!
    "NO " will be your word to them Forever!
    Love your blots!

    ReplyDelete